Q: Do I need a permit to transport or sell nonferrous metals in Colleton County?
A. Yes. A state law was passed last year requiring persons transporting or selling nonferrous metals to obtain a permit from their local Sheriff’s Office. There are some exceptions and conditions and there is no cost for the permit. They can be obtained during regular business hours (M-F/8am-4pm, except holidays) at the Sheriff’s Office located on S. Miller Street in Walterboro. To find out what exceptions apply to you, if any, contact us by phone or come by the Sheriff’s Office.

The following is required to obtain the permit.


  • A completed application for a Permit to Sell/Transport nonferrous metals (available at the Sheriff’s Office or located in the “Forms and Documents” section on this page)
  • A copy of your valid South Carolina Driver’s license
  • A copy of your vehicle registration card (vehicle being used to transport metals)

Q: What are the visiting hours at the Colleton County Detention Center?

A. The visitation schedule for the jail is based on the inmate’s status and the first letter of the inmate’s last name and is as follows: All inmates get a total of one hour regardless of the number of visitors.

  • Trustee’s visitation is Friday from 9:00 am until 10:00 am
  • Maximum Security Inmate’s are Friday from 10:00 am until 11:00 am
  • Regular Inmates visitation is as follows:  if the inmate's last name starts with the letter A thru G then visitation is Friday from 12:00 pm until 4:00 p.m. ; if the inmate's last name starts with the letter H thru O then the visitation is Saturday from 12:00 p.m until 4:00 p.m.; if the inmate's last name starts with the letter P thru Z then visitation is Sunday from 12:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. 


Q: Where is Traffic Court held?

A: The Colleton County Magistrates conduct a centralized court for Traffic and Magistrate Court cases and is located in the Padgett Building at 40 Klein Street, Walterboro, SC 29488.  Their phone number is (843) 549-1122.

Q: How do I report a crime and where can I pick up a report?
A:  Copy of incident reports can be picked up from our Records Section located in the Sheriff’s Office Annex at 208 West Washington Street, Walterboro, SC 29488.  They are open Monday -Friday from 9 am to 5 pm; phone (843) 549-1203.


If the crime you are reporting is in progress or an emergency, dial 911, otherwise, call (843) 549-2211 and request to report a crime and a deputy will respond to your location.  If you prefer to come to the Sheriff’s Office, the main office is open M-F 9am-5pm or call (843) 549-2211 after hours and a deputy will meet you at the office or Detention Center.


The Sheriff’s Office also maintains two anonymous tip lines if you prefer to remain anonymous when reporting Narcotic Activity, Gang Activity or   Domestic Violence.  They are:


  • Drug and Gang Tip Hot Line – (843) 549-6530
  • Domestic Violence Hot Line – (843) 782-3208
  • Or, call Crime Stoppers of the LowCountry at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)



Q: What kind of assistance is available to me as a victim of a violent crime?

A: The Sheriff’s Office has a Victim/Witness Advocate and it is their responsibility to assist victims of violent crimes.  Whether it is advice or guidance during the investigation of the case or to keep victims informed of case progress, court appearances and procedures, defendants jail status, etc, the Victim’s Advocate will assist victims and witnesses.   The Victim’s Advocate also assists victims of domestic violence with Orders of Protection if necessary.  Call our Victim’s Advocate at (843) 549-2211 ext. 2055 for a full description of services available through the Victim’s Advocate’s Office.

Q: How can I apply for a position within the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office?
A. The South Carolina Job Service located on Mable T. Willis Blvd., Walterboro, SC is the starting point for job applications.  Inform them that you are applying for a position with the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office and they will guide you through the process.