Q: Whom do I contact concerning animal Complaint issues?
A: Colleton County Animal & Environmental Control, 33 Poor Farm Road Walterboro, SC 29488, or telephone 843-893-2651, should be contacted with animal complaint issues such as dogs running at large, stray animals, roaming livestock, or suspected animal abuse.  For emergencies involving animals after hours/weekends, contact the Sheriff's Office at 911. 

Q: Whom do I contact concerning wildlife issues?
A: South Carolina Department of Natural Resources handles all wildlife issues. 

Q: Does Colleton County Have leash law?
A: Colleton County's Animal Control Ordinance contains the following provision:  "It is unlawful for any owner or custodian of any animal to permit same to run at large at any time upon any street or highway or other property within Colleton County, except upon the property owned or rented by the animal's owner or custodian. The animal shall be deemed to be running at large when the animal is off the property of the owner and not under the immediate and direct supervision of a responsible person, owner, or keeper by means of leash or similar restraining device and or obedient to the person’s commands."

Q: What should be done if I lose a pet?
A: Missing or lost animals should be reported to Animal and Environmental Control as soon as the animal becomes missing. Come to the animal shelter at 33 Poor Farm Road to fill out a missing animal report. Bring a photo of your animal to post with the report.  While there, you can check the shelter animals to see if your pet has been turned in. 

Q. How may I adopt an animal?
A: The adoption process is easy. You must be 17 years old and have a valid photo ID. The adoption fee includes initial vaccination, preventative worming, micro-chipping, and the spay/neuter.  


Q. Do dogs and cats have to have the rabies vaccination?
A:  Both South Carolina State Law and the local County Animal Control Ordinance require that all dogs and cats be currently vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian yearly from the age of three (3) months on. The rabies vaccination tag must be attached to a collar or harness worn by the animal for which the tag was issued, except when the animal is confined in an enclosed area.


Q.  Does Colleton County Animal Control have dog and cat traps available for the capture of stray animals?

A:  Yes, a resident can contact Animal Contrl and sign an agreement for the placement and usage of the trap.  

Q: Does Animal Control pick up animals?
A:  Yes, Animal Control will pick up stray animals.  Owned pets and animals must be brought to the Shelter by the owner and relinquished or signed over to the Shelter.  A fee is charged for te relinquishment of owned animals, and copies of all veterinary records should be brought to the Shelter with the animal.    

Q: How long is an animal keep at the shelter?
A: Impounded animals, in cases where the owner cannot be determined, remain at the Shelter for not less than five (5) days.  Thereafter, the animal becomes the property of Animal Control and may be placed for adoption, transferred to a rescue organization or foster home, or humanely euthanized.  Owner relinquished animals are subject to the same disposition immediatley upon completion of the relinquishment paperwork without the five day waiting period.  In cases where the owner of an impounded animal is identified, the Shelter will notify the owner if possible and allow a ten-day redemption period from the time of the owner notification.  If the pet/animal is not redeemed during that ten-day period, it will be considered to be abandoned and shall become the property of Animal Control and subject to the above disposition options.  

Q: How do I reclaim my pet or animall?
A: The owner must come to the Shelter and identify the animal to the satisfaction of Animal Control. Such identification may be by verbal description, photograph, etc.  A Redemption Request Form must be completed and all veterinary and grooming fees if any, and all redemption and boarding fees, as set by County Council, must be paid. 

Q: What is the cost of bringing a stray animal to the Shelter?
A: There is no fee for turning a stray animal over to the Shelter.