Public Nuisance

Return to Planning and Development Homepage


Doug Mixson
Code Enforcement
31 Klein Street
P.O. Box 98
Walterboro, SC  29488
Phone: (843) 549-1709
Fax: (843) 549-9014
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a Public Nuisance?
A. In general, a public nuisance is a dangerous or dilapidated building or mobile home, discarded materials and debris, overgrown lots, inoperable or abandoned vehicles and other waste matter found on property. The nuisance shall constitute a health hazard and/or which is or may be unsafe or dangerous to members of the general public by reason of their inability to understand the danger from the nuisance, and/or which may reasonably be expected to attract rodents, snakes and other dangerous wildlife and insects, as well as children who risk injury by playing with, in, or on it.

Q. What is an inoperable vehicle?
A. A motor vehicle that is inoperable, abandoned, or derelict upon any public street, road or thoroughfare, or private property; any vehicle damaged so as not to comply with state or federal safety regulations, incapable of self-propulsion or partially dismantled if retained on the premises for more than seventy-two (72) hours whether for repair or not.

Q. Can a Manufactured Home be used for storage?
A. No.

Q. Who is responsible for keeping property clean?
A. The "responsible party or person” means any individual, business or entity responsible for creating, causing, maintaining or permitting the nuisance activity, premises, condition or conduct; and includes, but is not limited to, the property owner (both real and personal), tenant, lessee, possessor, or occupant of real property, the president or other officer of the corporation, a business owner or manager of a business.

Q. How does the County enforce this requirement?
A. The County employs a Code Enforcement Officer who identifies violations and issues citations to property owners to “abate” the nuisance.  Abate simply means to correct the violation and clean up the property including removing trash, clearing overgrown lots or demolishing a house.  If the property owner voluntarily cleans the property without going to Magistrate’s Court, the County can waive the tipping fees at the Landfill for the property owner if an “Abatement Agreement” is signed.

Q. What is an Abatement Agreement?
A. An Abatement Agreement is a contract between an individual and the County that allows the individual to clean his/her property and remove the trash and debris to the Landfill.  The dumping of the debris or trash at the Landfill is at no cost to the citizen as long as they abide by the agreement.  If the contract is not kept by the individual the County then has the right to clean the property and place a Lien on the property to recover the cost of the abatement plus penalties.