Zoning Administration

Zoning Administrator
Bill Huggins
31 Klein Street, 3rd Floor, Harrelson Building
P.O. Box 98
Walterboro, SC  29488
Phone: 843-549-1709
Fax: 843-549-9014
Email: bhuggins@colletoncounty.org
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

About Us

The Zoning Administrator is responsible for administering, interpreting and enforcing the zoning regulations contained in the Zoning Ordinance.  In September 2010 the County adopted a new set of zoning regulations.  These regulations govern the types of activities which can occur on a given parcel as well as define where structure can be built.  It also outlines a variety of special requirements for commercial and industrial uses such as parking and landscaping standards. 
Before establishing any new activity or building (i.e., new construction or addition) on a parcel a zoning permit is required.  A site plan is generally needed at the time the permit is obtained.  An example of what is typically found on a site plan can found at the LEFT SIDE of this page explaining what a zoning site or plot plan is. 
If a use is not allowed within a zoning district, property owners may seek to “rezone” their property to allow an activity or use.  This type of request is processed by the Planning Commission and County Council. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When do I need a zoning permit?
A. Zoning permits are usually issued at the time a building permit is issued for new construction whether it is a house or commercial project.  It is also required for construction of accessory structures like sheds, fences, barns, etc.  However, if the structure or building already exists but the use changes, like from a store to a restaurant, a zoning permit is required.

Q. When do I need a sign permit?
A. All signs have minimum requirements like height, size and location.  However, not all signs require permits, for example temporary signs and alike.  That said, most business signs and billboards do require permits and almost as often building permits if they are large enough and require mounting or electrical connections.  

Q. What is the rule regarding having only two residences on one piece of property?
A. The zoning ordinance allows a maximum of two dwellings (2 houses, or 2 mobile homes, or 1 house and 1 mobile home) on one (1) lot of record provided that the lot meets the minimum lot size for both units and the lot width required by the zoning district regulations.

Q. What does the Board of Zoning Appeals do?
A. The Board of Appeals has three major duties.  It can hear appeals from decisions made by the Zoning Administrator if the applicant questions the interpretation of the Administrator made reading the Zoning regulations.  The Board can also hear variances.  A variance is a relaxation of the dimensional requirements found in the Zoning standards.  The justification for a variance is not be based on the actions or choices of the applicant but to unique characteristics of the property. The third responsibility is to hear special exceptions.  A special exception is a conditional use allowed in a zoning district if the Board of Zoning Appeals agrees to allow it.  The Board has the right to require additional controls on a use as a condition of granting permission. The Zoning Board of Appeals usually meets on the 4th Thursday of the month.