How do I subdivide my property and record a plat?

The subdivision of property requires the preparation of a plat by a South Carolina Licensed Land Surveyor.  Before a plat can be recorded at the Register of Deeds, it must be approved by the Office of Planning & Development for compliance with zoning regulations (i.e., lot size, lot width and access).  If approved, the plat can be taken to the Register of Deeds and recorded.