Skip to main content

Marriage License FAQs

1) In person application:  both parties must appear together in Probate Court to file an application for a marriage license. Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

(2) On-line or drop-off application:  Parties may complete and submit this application, along with the fee of $40.00 and copies of photo identification (license, state identification, or passport) and social security card (or alternate documentation).  Fees may be paid on-line at

The application fee for a marriage license is $40.00. The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license is $5.00.  All fees must be paid by cash, money order, credit card, or debit card.

You will need to bring either (1) your Social Security card or some other documentation that confirms your Social Security number (such as your income tax record). If you are a resident alien who does not have a Social Security number, you are required to present your visa, resident alien card or a statement from the Social Security Office that you do not qualify for a Social Security number.  If you do not have a visa, resident alien card, etc., you may submit your passport.

Additionally, you will need to show proof of age and identity. If you are over 18, the documents we will accept include your driver’s license, state identification card, passport, or military identification. If you are under 18, you will also need to bring an original birth certificate or a certified copy of the birth certificate.

Yes, there is a twenty-four- hour waiting period in S.C. from the time you apply for the license until the time the license can be issued. After the waiting period has expired, you may return to pick up the license (only one party necessary).

Regardless of where you live, the license is valid for marriage ceremonies performed in South Carolina.

State law dictates that only ministers of the Gospel or accepted Jewish rabbi and officers authorized to administer oaths in this State are authorized to administer a marriage ceremony in this State.

No, your divorce must be final. A divorce is not final until the judge signs the Decree of Divorce and it is recorded in the office of the Clerk of Court.

In South Carolina, applicants ages 16 and 17 may obtain a marriage license upon presentation of an original or a certified copy of birth certificate, parent’s consent, and a state-issued identification. (If minor’s parents are divorced, the parent with custody must give the consent and produce a certified copy of their divorce decree to prove custody.)

We are not currently performing marriage ceremonies.

You will likely be required to take a certified copy of your marriage license. You may obtain a certified copy for $5.00 by contacting the Court.  Or, you may arrange for a certified copy by visiting  

Last updated: