Skip to main content

What regulations apply to construction activities in the flood hazard area?

The County’s Flood Prevention Ordinance requires you follow specific construction standards for homes, mobile homes and non-residential structures based on the type of flood zone the property is located. It also applies if you place fill dirt on your property. Generally, residences or mobile homes will have to be elevated from the ground to a minimum height, known as the Base Flood Elevation plus one foot, to reduce flood damage. Non-residential buildings can be elevated or flood-proofed to prevent water from entering. If located in a floodway, you may be limited to what can be constructed or placed on the property. Accessory buildings or sheds are not exempt from flood regulations.