When do I need a zoning permit?

Zoning permits are usually issued at the time a building permit is issued for new construction whether it is a house or commercial project.  It is also required for construction of accessory structures like sheds, fences, barns, etc.  However, if the structure or building already exists but the use changes, like from a store to a restaurant, a zoning permit is required.