Skip to main content

Who do I call to get my road repaired?

That depends on who is responsible for maintaining the road.  Roads are divided into four categories: county, state, municipal, and privately maintained roads.

  • County Roads are maintained by the Colleton County Road Maintenance Department.  Typically, these roads have green street signs. The County Road Maintenance Department can be contacted at (843) 539-1965.
  • State Roads are maintained by the state of South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT).  Generally these roads have a number designation that contains SC, US or S. If you have any questions or concerns about these roads, please call SCDOT at (843) 538-8031.
  • Municipal Roads are the roads within a city or town that are not maintained by the state or county.  If you have any questions or concerns about these roads, please call the appropriate municipal office.  The City of Walterboro can be contacted at (843)549-2545.
  • Private roads belong to private individuals who are responsible for maintaining the roads.  These have not been dedicated to public use; therefore, the County does not perform maintenance on these roads.  Typically, these roads have blue signs.